Since Khloe came to live with us it has been very apparent that she would need extra help to communicate. I have worked very hard to get her to comunicate. For example, she had a volcabulary of 6 words when she came to live with us. Now she has a volcabulary of 100 words. Unfortunately, there is something that I just can't get her to do. To use it. I have been very frustrated by this fact for quite some time. But now I see the purpose behind her not using it. If it weren't for the fact that she doesn't use it much she wouldn't have gotten into Riverside Preschool. The reason this is important: Riverside is a Preschool through the school district (=free) that focuses on children that are developmentally delayed. Not just any child that is developmentally delayed. They need to be under 5% in their abilities. I got very conficted when all the scores from her tests were above the 5% mark. I wanted her in Riverside really bad to give her the help I am unable/unqualified to give her. At the same time I didn't want her to be so behind that she would need such a place.
The staff at Riverside went on to explain that Khloe's continuing desire to use grunts and hand gestures over words was concerning. Combine that with her low MLU(??? it has something to do with how many parts of a sentence she uses. Kids her age should have a score between 1.9 and 2.4. She had a 1.4) and they were concerned enough to admit her to the program. I am relieved that she will be getting this extra help. Starting next week she will be bused to and from school two days a week. I hope this will help her out. At our request they will also do a little stranger danger lesson. I hope that Khloe (who is way to trusting of a friendly face) will learn something from it.
Now I just need to wait and see if Emma gets into the Bear River Head Start Preschool. In a year Sammi will transfer automatically from Early Head Start into their preschool. Until then I am their teacher. Heaven help them.
No comments:
Post a Comment