We have a baptism this weekend and as a result we are trying to get things done for the holidays before we leave. I was busy packing the bags for our trip while Les enlisted the girls to help wrap the presents. I checked on them a few times to make sure they were helping rather than causing trouble. One of the times as I started down the hallway I hear, "Ssshhhh!" I wondered what they were up to. So I crept down the hall. I eased my head around the corner to see Les wrapping a present. He was telling the girls that they couldn't tell Mom what was inside because it was a surprise. That is when I spoke up and said, "What is a surprise?" Emma looked at me and with conflict in her eyes she said, "We can't tell you it's a 'prize!" I of course already knew what it was because Les wanted my imput. So I kept asking and within 5 minutes she told me it was a camera plug. I laughed because had I not already known this would have for sure thrown me for a loop. I went back to packing partly victorious. I few minutes later I heard something about not telling Mom what was in it. I was intregued because I didn't know I had two presents. So I returned to the livingroom. Again I peeked around the corner and asked, "So what is in this one?" Les not bothered by my knowing mouthed what it was to me. I asked Emma what it was. She again told me it was a "prize" and that she doesn't want to tell me. Les under his breath told me to take her in the other room and bribe ber. He wanted to see how far I would have to go before she told. As soon as I took her in the other room she told me, "I can't tell you what it is. It is a 'prize." I told her I would give her some candy if she told me. She started jumping up and down and told me what it was.
Moral of the story: Don't tell your children what is in any of the presents when they are that young. So here is a question for you. How old are kids before they learn to keep secrets? I am so glad they didn't see what I got for Les. The store wrapped if for free and then I picked the kids up from respite care. I am so glad I decided to take the easy road on that one.
3 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment