July 6, 2012

Independence Day

Before I get into what we did for the 4th I must tell you about what happened on the 3rd.  Logan city did their fireworks that night.  We could see them from the balcony of our apartment.  After getting the girls ready for bed they sat on the balcony to watch.  A local radio station played patriotic songs during the fireworks so I turned it on to set the mood and then sat back to enjoy the show.  I tuned into the words of the songs during, "God Bless America."  The words brought tears to my eyes.  There are times that I fear for my country and the road we are headed down.  I must remember that we are in God's hands.  His will be done.
I must say that I was a little worried about what we would do this year for the 4th of July.  Every year since I was quiet little I have gone to my Uncle's property where he and another uncle would roast chickens, lamb, pork, and sometimes beef on large spits.  Over the years it turned into a minor community event.  Anyone who wanted to could come as long as they brought a side dish or dessert to share.  Last year, just before the BBQ, we were told that unless someone else would step up and take over the reins that the BBQ would no longer continue.  I deep sadness settled into my heart at the thought.  Les and I were comtemplating a move to Maryland, so that was what I tried to cling to.  That being so far away I wouldn't feel the sting as I miss out on a beloved event year after year.  Just shy of 6 months after moving there we have come back to our home state.  As the 4th approached I was unsure of what we would do.  Do we go visit family?  If so whos? Mine? Les'?  Or do we stay home and begin a tradition all our own?
 I dressed Jacob in this cute patriotic way.  Les then added the shorts (they are going to be his shorts for swimming later this month).  What a cute boy! 
 Jacob, Sydnie, Khloe, and Samantha waiting for the parade to begin.
Emma waiting for the parade.
Our Veteran in the parade!
Whitney marching in the parade (second from the end playing a clarinet).
My girls' favorite float!
 Uncle Larry and Uncle Bob working over the BBQ.
 A wide variety of meat choices.
 I made this dish!  It is called, "Loaded Baked Potato Salad" or as I like to call it, "Heaven on a plate."
 The girls with sparklers.
 Tons of fireworks!
 Literally, they were going off all around us.

No comments: