April 6, 2008

General Conference

I have been looking froward to this conference since the passing of President Hinckley. I wanted to be able to join my voice with that of the church in sustaining President Monson as the Prophet of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I felt the priviledge when I stood with all of the sisters of the Relief Society when it was our turn to stand and raise our arm to show our love and support for our new Prophet. I felt the spirit so strongly that tears welled in me eyes. I don't know how I held them back but I managed. It is an incredible experience.
There were many wonderful talks given this weekend but one stood out to me the most. I have been asking my Father in Heaven how I could be a better mother. In the Sunday afternoon session Elder M. Russell Ballard spoke on young mothers. As he spoke I knew without a doubt that was an anwer to my prayers. He asked the question:
What can you do to reduce the pressure and enjoy your family more?
I wrote as fast as I could but I wasn't fast enough to get the answers that he gave. Here is what I was able to write down.
1. Live in the moment.
2. Don’t over schedule yourself or your children – families need unstructured time
3. Find some time for your self – cultivate you interests
4. Pray, Study, and Teach the Gospel
I find this to be just what I need. Life sometimes gets so busy and stressful that living in the moment is hard to do. Or at least hard to remember to do. Also finding time to myself is difficult to find. I already knew that I needed some time for myself once in a while but I would feel guilty that I was somehow being selfish for wanting it. Now I know that in order to maintain some sanity that I do need to do something for myself. In doing so I will be a much better mother to Emma and a better wife to Les. It is something I need to do so that my family can be happier. However, there is a difference between knowing and doing. Right now I am at a point in my life where time is scarce. Between Emma, Les' schooling and work, and my church callings I don't have much time for anything else.
I now have a road map that as an answer to my prayers can lead me in the right direction. As a better mother I can help Emma grow into a responsible and spiritually healthy individual. That is my greatest hope. I'm sure that I will still have my moments of doubt. Through faith I will be able to work through it.
When you get a chance I suggest that you read the talks from General Conference. For now you can go to http://www.lds.org/ to watch or listen to conference. May God be with you.

2 comments:

Papa and Mama said...

I have found a moment for myself. While I am cooking breakfast in the morning I have my laptop set up to either listen to a general conference address or one of the Book of Mormon Roundtable discussions. It gives my day such a boost. Dad and I still read the scripture together during breakfast, but this little added time has brought me great pleasure.

The Perkins Family said...

I seemed to have missed that one. I will listen to it asap. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.