September 21, 2008

Parable of the pencil

We had our first sunday lesson in Relief Society today. The first councilor had been out of town so they moved the lessons around. I am grateful for it. I really loved the lesson. A basket was passed around with the Parable of the Pencil for each person. I hope you enjoy the story.

The Pencil Maker took the
Pencil aside, just before
putting him into the box.

"There are five things you
need to know," he told the
pencil, "Before I send you out
into the world. Always
remember them and never
forget, and you will become
the best pencil you can be."

"One: You will be able to do many
great things, but only if you allow
yourself to be held in Someone's
hand."

"Two: You will experience a painful
sharpening from time to time, but
you'll need it to become a better
pencil."

"Three: You will be able to correct
any mistake you might make."

"Four: The most important part of
you will always be what's inside."

"And Five: On every surface you are
used on, you must leave your mark.
No matter what the condition, you
must continue to write."


The Pencil understood and promised
to remember and went into the box
with purpose in its heart.

We applied each step to ourselves. Read it again and think how you can apply each of those things to your own life. Always remember that God loves you and sent you here for a reason. You do have a purpose.

2 comments:

The Obergs said...

Melanie, thanks again for your tips today, you are great! I'm really going to miss you guys once you move, but how lucky that you are to be living the high life with a dishwasher and everything :)

Jen said...

Thanks for the parable. I really enjoyed it.