Well, Samantha is recovering well from a recent blood transfusion. She is still up and down on her blood pressure and her color changes from a pale to deep red (when she cries or is mad) all day long, but they have said that even though her xrays don't show it, her lungs do sound a bit more clear.
When the doctor came in and explained to us that Sammi would need a transfusion, both Melanie and I were a little concerned. It's not everyday that you're little girl gets extremely ill let alone also needs more blood. However, it got me to thinking. I used to donate blood on a regular 3 month basis while I was in the military, and when I got out I would donate about every 6 months, whenever the stake, ward, or community would do a blood drive. But, what an amazing way to help.
I remember in a previous stake that we had a member who was suffering from a particular nasty illness and needed to have a bone marrow transplant. I've also known others who because of accidents needed to have blood. Just about everyone who knows us has offered to help in any way that can, and at this point for Sammi, she just needs our prayers. With time she should recover fully. But there are a lot of children here at PCMC. Many of which have very differing illnesses and injuries. We're located next to University hospital and several others that also have many patients needing similar help.
Well, I've found a way that maybe we can all help out. Next time you have an opportunity to donate blood, do so. If you're a brave soul you can even get on the BMT (Bone Marrow Transplant) list. From what I've read your blood has a shelf life of around 40 days or so. This means that it needs a constant replenishment. I haven't heard of any of the hospitals in the area actually hitting that date and therefore having to throw it out, but I have heard them say their supplies are low. Melanie and I have decided that someone else helped our Sammi with a blood donation and we feel like we should pass that help along by donating ourselves. I hope you'll be able to find the time and courage to donate yourself. (We'll be using ARUP (rather than Red Cross) for PCMC, they also run out to the Basin a lot)
3 months ago
1 comment:
I use to donate blood all the time until I married bryan, I was notified that I couldnt donate blood anymore but thats been around 10 years maybe I will have to try it again and see if my blood any different know.
Post a Comment