February 4, 2008

New Prophet

Yesterday morning the church held a press conference to announce the new First Presidency. As we all predicted President Thomas S. Monson was confimed as the 16th President of the church. His first councelor is President Henry B. Eyring. With President Dieter F. Uchtdorf as Second Counselor. I knew that President Eyring would be in the presidency still, but I didn't put President Uchtdorf there. He has only been in the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles for 3 and a half years. Still, when I heard his name I instantly felt right about it. He was put in to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles for a reason. He needed to be in place so that he could be put in this calling. When things happen like this I often wonder if the members of the Frist Presidency are surprised. For example, when Pres. Hinckley called Pres. Uchtdorf if he knew that in a short while he would be dead and Pres. Uchtdort would be in place to be put into the presidency. What would it be like to know that your death is near and that replacements are being prepared. For me I think it would be scary. If I had more faith and I knew Les was there waiting for me it would probably be easier. At the same time I would be concerned for my children. I know how hard it is to lose someone you love. I know the pain they will feel. I just hope that when the time comes for me to go that I will have taught them enough that they will know that I am not gone forever. I hope that I can help them know for themselves that there is an after life. That we will all be able to be together beyond the veil. I will need Heavenly Father's help to teach them right. I pray for his guidance.
On a slightly different note I was looking through You Tube for a video on the news conference announcing Pres. Monson as the new Prophet. I came across several videos that I felt mocked the church. I found out that the same person posted each of them. The guy who posted them had served a mission and even married in the temple. Then something went terribly wrong. Now he spends his time "to help others to discover what I have found and to know the "REAL TRUTH" and then be able to better deal with the pain of their discovery." I felt really bad for this guy. Some of the stuff he wrote was on the note of "by their fruits ye shall know them." He has somewhere lost his way so bad that he thinks that "good fruits" are brought about through anger and other bad fruits. If he thinks that he is on the good side he will be so surprised when he gets to the other side. As I thought about this man I had an overwhelming desire to pray for him. So I will be praying for him that he may either see the error of his ways or that God may have mercy on him. If you so feel the desire to pray for him too I say please do. I only know his screen name as TheUtahnite. I know when I pray for him that Heavenly Father will know who I am praying for.
That is all I have for now. Remember to pray for the new First Presidency.

1 comment:

Nancy Mc said...

Loved this post. Thanks for sharing your testimony. I too just started a blog. Learning lots, as I know you will. Jen Parker's mom