So I heard something on Friday that really bothers me. I have been stewing over it all weekend. I need your imput.
On Friday I had a program running just for noise in the background while I was doing things around the house. I happened to come into the room to hear the people talking about the strength and intelligence of Michelle Obama. They started to compare her to Hillary Clinton. They were saying that Michelle has a softer side but that didn't make her any less of a strong woman. Where Hillary Clinton has been in the Senate and has had to be tough all around. One of the men said that he wanted a strong woman in his life. Now I was fine with all of this until he went on to say, "The day of the helpmeet is over." He basically continued on saying that men today want a strong, capable, and intelligent woman by their side.
I told Les what I had heard and he looked at me a little confused and asked, "So is he saying that a helpmeet is weak, incapable, and stupid?" He voiced my very thoughts. Am I wrong to be offended? Please help me by telling me your thoughts on what a helpmeet is to you. Ask your family and friends what they think it means and then post all those thoughts here. I would like to see how many people truly believe the way this man believes. I certainly hope more believe what the Church has taught. That "meet" means equal. We as husbands and wives are equal partners. That together we become one in purpose.
I think it would be very interesting to see the views of those around us. Please share.
3 months ago
2 comments:
Okay, so I probably have a different view on this, having not grown up in the church. I was engaged to a guy once who was like the guy you're talking about, who really enjoyed that I was strong, capable, and intelligent. His mom had stayed at home and he didn't see that the way we do in the church; instead he saw it as her being weak and incapable.
That being said, despite joining the church and now being a stay-at-home mom, I don't think I'm any less strong, capable, or intelligent, and I'm likely to go off on those who think so, being the strong woman that I believe myself to be.
To ME, a helpmeet is someone who helps meet the family's needs. So, to me, I may be my husband's helpmeet, but he is also mine. We help each other to meet the needs of our family. Does that make sense?
While I do think the guy on tv was being derogatory, I disagree with his beliefs. I think he was trying to say that the days of stay-at-home wives/mothers is over and the day of the working mom/spouse is in full effect, not intentionally meaning to be derogatory, his comment was rude to those who believe otherwise... that it's a stronger, more capable, more intelligent position to be a stay-at-home spouse/mom, or at least want to be one. It's by far the HARDEST job in the world, and there are two schools of thought for leaving the home. 1 - I can't wait to get away from my kids for 8 hours of near sanity, and 2 - I can't believe I have to leave my kids, I can't wait to be home with them again. To me, the first is the easy way out and the second is the only thing harder than actually being at home with your kids all day long with no adult interactions, no direction as to how you should be teaching your kids, and no break in your work day despite the overwhelming need for a nap or just a few minutes without someone whining or clinging to your legs.
Anyway, I probably went off on too much of a tangent and I may have offended people in my comments, but I figured we're all entitled to our opinions, right? I think the guy worded his thoughts wrong for television, and although he's right that the days of the helpmeet are gone, they are still strong in some communities and families, and I'm glad to be one of those families. I'm so glad that my husband and I are still able to help each other and our family, as equals in all instances.
Hope this helps you some!
-Ginger
Of course I believe a helpmeet is an equal. I have been helping Kelly by earning $, in return he helps me with the kids & around the house. The more I work, the more I ask for help. If I were to quit my job, I wouldn't ask for his help as often as I do now. It equals out.
Post a Comment