November 11, 2011

2011 Gratitude #11

Since today is Veterans Day I think it is only appropriate that I have my gratitude be Veterans.   I am so very grateful for all service men and women (past, present, and future) who have (or will) put their lives on the line for the freedoms we all enjoy.  I celebrated this holiday as I grew up.  My mom puts on a Veterans Day program every year at the school she teaches at.  It helped instill in me a deep love for my country and for those who fight for it.  I think it was an important thing for me to have when later I would meet my husband freshly home from serving in Iraq.  He has told me many spiritual stories from his time there.  Yes there were bad times too.  One story he told me was about the invasion force going into Iraq that he was with.  Every day the track units would be able to drive 30 miles or so and then break down.  Every night they were repaired so they could move on the next day.  One day the command held a prayer service.  That day the track units were able to go a lot further and keep up with the main force.   From that day on prayer started each day.  How amazing is that!  It has been said there are no atheists in fox holes.  It is no wonder why!  Our Father in Heaven watches over these wonderful selfless people. 
Our veterans are not just old men.  There could be veterans who are as young as 18 years old.  We can see those who return from war who are missing body parts.  Yet there are so many more who suffer damage on the inside.  Les has an Uncle who served in the Navy.  In the years since his retirement he has suffered many severe illnesses that have been linked back to his years of service.  He has had it all from cancers (yes more than one) to diabetes to asbestosis.  There are a few people (not to be named) that I am close to that suffer on a daily basis from PTSD (post tramatic stress disorder).  It is not a pretty thing.  It not only haunts them when they are awake but affects their dreams as well.  PTSD affects all those that are close to the person who has it.  Pray for these people.  They are in need of your love and support.  Let them know how much their service means to you and your family. 
Les usually looks forward to Veterans Day like a little child on Christmas morning.  This year things have been different.  He hasn't enjoyed it nearly the way he should.  He told me earlier that he can see why so many Vets feel depressed about Veterans Day.  If you truly care try to make a difference in the lives of Vets that you know and even ones you don't.  Show them you care.
May this Veterans Day and those to come be filled with love and peace.  May our Vets know how much they as people mean to us as a nation and individually.  I am grateful for the Veterans in my life.  They are very important to me.  I am grateful for all veterans who have served our country.  I am grateful for Veterans Day.














I added this picture simply because it made me cry!

No comments: