November 17, 2011

2011 Gratitude #17

I am grateful for music. I have always enjoyed listening to music.  I also enjoy singing when I don't have to: 1- do it by myself and 2- do it in front of an audience.  I had a lady ask me in church ask me if I play an instrument other than my voice.  I told her no I don't (I wish I had learned to play the piano).  She told me that it was ok but that she heard me singing during sacrament and that I have a nice voice.  A bit embarrassed I told her thank you.  Then she made a comment about our family singing in sacrament sometime.  I couldn't help but look at Les.  I knew he wouldn't be super thrilled about that.  She must have noticed because she asked Les if he sings.  He told her no.  I told he that he can sing but he doesn't like to.  Trying to deflect the attention from himself he mentioned that our kids all know the words to, "I am a Child of God."  Her face brightened.  Les then added a whole list of songs (not all church related) that they sing.  I am grateful that music seems to be something my kids enjoy.  I am going to try to teach them a few new songs over the next month.  I am just unsure which ones I should teach them first.  I played a whole bunch yesterday.  If they didn't already know the song they easily got distracted.  If they already knew it even a little bit they seemed much more interested.  I think for now I will find a good one that I know all the words to so I can sing it over and over.  When we get our stuff back I will get out my children's song book and just start at the beginning.  I can't teach them every song in the book because I don't even know all of them.  I can teach them the ones I know.  Then I can try to tackle the ones I don't know.
One thing about music I love is that it has the power to cheer me up and make me feel better.  Right before I decided to do the gratitude posts I was so stressed out.  Les got me new batteries for my MP3 player.  He told me to lay down and listen to the music.  I almost said something sarcastic about the kids not leaving me alone long enough to enjoy it.  He told me he would put in a movie for the kids and keep an eye on them.  So I laid down and listened to what was on there.  Even though it wasn't church music (or even close to it) I felt so much better.  It was so relaxing!  So when I start to feel that the stress is overwhelming I get my music back out and chill out for a little while.  Music is so powerful.
Oh and I cannot forget to mention that the music for my favorite holiday is right around the corner!  Christmas music is the best!  In Utah I could already be listening to it.  Ususally I refrain until after Thanksgiving though.  I like to let Thanksgiving have it's time rather than overshadow it with Christmas.  But oh how I love Christmas!  I am grateful for all music but especially church and christmas music. 

No comments: