November 30, 2011

2011 Gratitude #29

With so many things to be grateful for I cannot forget to add in that I am grateful to be able to worship the way I choose.  Religious freedom is a wonderful thing.
Elder Dallin H. Oaks has said, "Religious Freedom is fundamental to the existance of our nation."  He went on to talk about how it is protected legally because it is in the constitution and that it along with the freedom of speech is in a position of importance to the founding fathers.  Freedom of religion and freedom of speech were a fundamental reason colonists came to this land.  They had experienced religious persecution.  Also they had experienced being punished for expressing their opinions.  Thus freedom of religion and freedom of speach were motivating factors that brought our founding fathers here. 
I am grateful that those brave people set out to make a better place in this world.  A place where you could stand up for let alone have any religious belief.  I know without a doubt that our Father in Heaven had a hand in the forming of this nation.  I hurts to see so many that would like to destroy this heaven sent consitutional right.  Without it we would not have become the powerful nation millions upon millions of people have flocked to.  I don't want to start a political debate but it frightens me to see what direction our goverment is pushing us into.  No I am not just saying Obama is single handedly doing it.  Our goverment has been slowly headed this way for years.
I haven't been particularly concerned about who becomes president next.  I have prayed over this matter and know that no matter who is elected we still have to go down a difficult road.  We have been told in the scriptures that in the last days things will be very bad.  We may think things are bad now but think about what history has taught us.  Things have been much worse than they are now.  Before the second coming of our Savior things will get much worse than anything any people on the face of this earth have ever experienced.  So dispite knowing this I still feel at peace.  Why?  Because I have already prepared myself.  I know it is going to get bad but I know it has to before the Savior will come.  Am I prepared to meet my Savior?  No I have a long ways to go before I will be there.  Now is the time to prepare.  Get your houses in order and prepare yourselves to meet your maker.
I am grateful that I can know for myself what is right.  I am grateful that I live in a country that was founded on principles of religious freedom.  I am grateful I can worship the way I choose.

No comments: