November 26, 2011

2011 Gratitude #25

I am grateful for my scriptures and prayer. No need for me to actually remind you of how much I have struggled over the last few months. Here is what I know. I wouldn't be getting better if it weren't for prayer and reading my scriptures. Part of the reason I did get so bad was from a lack of prayer and scripture reading in my life. It is not the first time this has happened nor do I doubt that it will be the last time it happens. The important thing is to realize that it has happened and take steps to fix it. As I worked to fix my lack of faith this time I flipped open my scriptures and started reading where they opened. I started reading on Alma 34:11 and read to the end of the chapter. In the beginning it was talking about the need of an atonement and how it will satisfy the demands of justice. In verse 17 it says, "Therefore may God grant unto you, my brethren, that ye may begin to exercise your faith unto repentance, that ye begin to call upon his holy name, that he would have mercy upon you;
18 Yea, cry unto him for mercy for he is mighty to save.
19 Yes, humble yourselves, and continue in prayer unto him.
20 Cry unto him when ye are in your fields, yea, over all your flocks.
21 Cry unto him in your houses, yea, over all your household, both morning, mid-day, and evening.
22 Yea, cry unto him against the power of your enemies.
23 Yes, cry unto him against the devil, who is an enemy to all righteousness.
24 Cry unto him over the crops of your fields, that ye may prosper in them.
25 Cry over the flocks of your fields, that they may increase.
26 But this is not all; ye must pour out your souls in your closets, and your secret places, and in your wilderness.
27 Yea, and when you do not cry unto the Lord, let your hearts be full, drawn out in prayer unto him continually for your welfare, and also for the welfare of those who are around you.
It goes on to say that without being charitable that your prayer is in vain. It has reminded me to get outside of myself. First I need to pray to my Father in Heaven and then I need to go out and do something for someone else. It is hard to get so many blessings when we are not willing to be the answer to someone else's prayer. We may never know whose prayer we have answered but that is how the our Father works. He works through us to bless those in need. How then are we to know who to serve? Serve thy neighbor, the sick and afflicted, and those who are in need. Everyone is in need at some point in their lives. You may not know who is in need. I believe that those in the most need that we will be guided to them. But what about the ones who aren't so bad off but still need the helping hand. We can make someone else's day better simply by smiling and being polite. There is no need to rip into others.
I will be praying for opportunities to serve others. Selfishness gets you no where. I need to get outside of myself and help others. I am grateful for my scriptures and for prayer.

No comments: