Yesterday's post really put me in a patriotic mood. Today I am grateful for the flag. All it takes is to see that lovely banner of Red, White, and Blue blowing in the breeze to bring tears to my eyes. I grew up in a family where patriotism is celebrated. There are those who like the freedom of this country but still fight to bring it down. If you don't like this country for what it is then you can move somewhere else. We want people who will love this country and do what it takes to stand by it. Enough of that. I have never been the soap box type of person. Mostly because I am not one who likes to draw attention to myself.
Every morning when I was in elementary we stood to face the flag and recited the Pledge of Allegence. I believe it helped me gain a deeper appreciation and love for this country.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America,
and to the republic for which it
stands, one nation under God,
indivisible, with liberty and
justice for all."
It saddens me that people want to change this piece of our history because someone is intolerent. If you don't believe in God or don't want to say that one phrase then don't do it. However, please do not change it. I have every right to say it that way just as much as you have a right not to say those words. I am sorry that my belief in God offends you. It shouldn't. It doesn't offend me that you don't believe in God. I am sad that you have no hope of being with the ones you love after you die but you have the right to believe anyway you want.
This is a picture I took on the Fourth of July this year.
'Tis the star-spangled banner, O! long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.
I am grateful for the flag of the United States of America!
No comments:
Post a Comment