November 19, 2010

Gratitude #19

I am grateful for the Scriptures.  Especially the Book of Mormon.  Years ago when Les and I were dating President Hinckley challenged the church as a whole to read the Book of Mormon from cover to cover.  I had done this before with my parents but this time Les and I took it on together.  It was amazing how my testimony grew during that time.  I have taken it upon myself to do it once more.  This time I am doing it all on my own.  I am not hurrying through it to meet an specific deadline.  In fact in the last month I have only gotten to 1 Nephi 3.  Instead of reading it to read it I am trying to delve into it.  I am taking it verse by verse instead of chapter by chapter.  It is amazing the things that I have learned and applied to myself and my life.  The footnotes are wonderful for gaining a greater knowledge of the meanings within each verse.  As I come upon something that I feel applies directly to me and my situation I ask myself questions.  If I come up short I come up with goals to be more like the people I am reading about.   It is changing my life.  I hope that I will gain a deeper understanding of the scriptures and become more knowledgable of the gospel.

Les and I were studying the lessons for Gospel Doctrines together.  We recently received a calling to teach the 12 to 15 year olds.  So now we are reading and discussing that lesson each week.  We also are reading from the Pearl of Great Price together.  I love being up before the kids and spending time with Les in this manner each day.
I love the Book of Mormon and the Bible.  They are the words of God to his people.  Both anciently and in modern times.  I should lump General Conference and the Ensign in here too.  They contain the messages of the living Prophet to us.  These are messages that have to do with what we going through right now.  We are so blessed to have these words.  We should take the opportunity to read and study over these messages.
I am grateful for the scriptures.

No comments: